Age Minimum (with Adult): 18+, Minimum Age:18+
Refugee Resettlement: Education & Employment Internship
[Recruiting for Fall 2019]
The Refugee Resettlement department of Catholic Charities Community Services provides assistance to refugees, asylees, SIVs, Cuban/Haitian entrants, certified victims of trafficking, and unaccompanied minors from diverse backgrounds. The department offers case management, employment-based, and educational services that help clients feel secure in their new community. To further help us with this goal, we are looking to bring on interns who are interested in engaging in our office functions while interacting one-on-one with clients to help them work towards self-sufficiency.
Interns are able to work with a diverse, multicultural staff and client population, gain insights into the challenges that refugees/asylees face, provide a service to the office that is integral in the resettlement process, and learn more about non-profit programming and management.
*Resettlement program-specific internships are also available for Master of Social Work(MSW) students. Contact the Volunteer Coordinator for more information.
- Develop client resumes
- Assist in school enrollments and job applications
- Prepare for and accompany clients to appointments
- Assist in client intakes and assessments
- Facilitate workshops and orientations
- Perform mock interviews and interview preparation
- Tutor in computer basics and employment readiness
- Conduct research on education, housing, mental health, and other resources available in NYC
- Assist in administrative tasks
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Excellent organization and attention to detail
- Able to work independently and balance multiple projects and deadlines
- Flexible, patient, compassionate, and interested in working with a refugee/asylee population
- Additional language skills (particularly French, Arabic, and Spanish) are beneficial but not required
Intern hours normally take place during office hours, Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm. Hours/shifts can be flexible according to intern's schedule and availability.
Required commitment of 12+ hours per week for a minimum of three months.
80 Maiden Lane, 14th Floor
New York, NY 10038
How to Apply:
To apply, email your resume and cover letter to Therese.McCarry@archny.org with "Education & Employment Internship Application" in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing, rolling basis.
Therese McCarry, Volunteer Coordinator
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: