Interpretation Assistance at Asylum Interviews for Unaccompanied Minors
We need volunteers who are able to interpret at asylum interviews for unaccompanied youth (ages 5-18+, primarily from Central America).
We are looking for individuals who are:
- fluent in English and Spanish, and/or Central or South American indigenous languages (e.g. K'iche', Kaqchikel, Achi, Mam, Chorti, and Quechua/Kichwa)
- must be available Monday - Friday during regular business hours (9am – 5pm) and asylum interview hours (7am – 5pm)
- able to travel to the asylum offices in Lyndhurst, NJ and/or Bethpage, NY
- punctual and reliable (tardiness can have a negative impact on the client’s case)
- comfortable hearing traumatic stories from children
- able to maintain strict confidentiality
- able and willing to take background check
- have a flexible schedule
No interpretation experience necessary, but:
- must be available to complete a training on asylum interpretation
- must feel comfortable with consecutive interpretation and sight translation
Interviews are usually scheduled two weeks in advance. You should have a flexible schedule to attend a pre-asylum meeting and the asylum interview. Asylum interviews are scheduled between 7am – 10am and may last 1 to 3 hours, plus commute time. The interpreter is expected to arrive 30 minutes prior to the interview time and may have to wait several hours before a client is called in for their interview - you will need to reserve the entire day for the interpretation. The volunteer may be asked to interpret twice a month.
If you are a student and would like to receive internship credit, please indicate that in your response.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: