Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Interpretation Assistance at Asylum Interviews for Unaccompanied Minors
We need volunteers who are willing to interpret at asylum interviews for unaccompanied youth (12-17 year old mainly from Central America). We are looking for individuals who are:
- fluent in Spanish or any Central American indigenous language (K'iche', Kachiquel, Achi, Mam, Chorti, and Quechua)
- comfortable hearing traumatic stories from children
- able to handle confidential and sensitive information
- able to travel to the asylum offices in Lyndhurst, NJ and/or Bethpage, NY
- punctual and reliable (tardiness can have a negative impact on the client’s case)
- able to have a flexible schedule.
There is usually a waiting period of several hours before a client is called in for their interview- you will need to reserve the entire day for the interpretation. Interviews are usually scheduled at 7:45am and you must arrive by 6:45am. Ideally, you would also be available to come to the office to meet with the client once before the scheduled interview to get acquainted with the child and the child’s case, but it is not a requirement.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: