Age Minimum (with Adult):18+, Minimum Age:18+
Refugee Resettlement: Swahili-Speaking Assistant
Refugee Resettlement seeks a Swahili speaker to help a refugee family
Who we are: Catholic Charities Community Services NY (CCCS) Our Refugee Resettlement department provides assistance to refugees and asylees from diverse backgrounds, offering a variety of case management, employment, and educational services that help clients settle into their new community.
Title/position: Volunteer – Swahili-speaking Assistant
Duties/expectations: Provide basic orientation and support to a refugee family, whose head of household is in the hospital at Mt. Sinai Hospital recovering from an operation.
- Escort wife, arriving to NYC from Utica, from Port Authority to Mt. Sinai Hospital temporary residence
- Check in with the family, once every 2 to 3 days while in NYC by phone or text, to see how they are doing
- Answer questions they might have about getting around in NYC
- Communicate with CCCS Refugee Resettlement Office and Mt. Sinai social work staff with any questions or concerns the family has
Time commitment: Approximately one month, depending on length of recovery
Qualifications and requirements:
- Fluency in Swahili and English
- Willingness to Travel locally in Manhattan
For more detailed information: email Siddika Degia at Siddika.Degia@archny.org
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: