Guild for the Blind: ESOL Instructor (Midtown East)
Help us teach English to the visually impaired!
The Catholic Guild for the Blind provides a variety of essential services to individuals who are blind and visually impaired, including immigrants who need to learn English in order to get a job or to pursue higher education.
Our academic services include
- ESOL instruction
- Preparation for the high school equivalency (TASC) exam
- Preparation for college
- Anytime between 11am-3:30 pm
- Anytime between 9am-12:30pm
- Once a week
- 3 months minimum
- Bachelor's degree (or soon to be completed BA) in TESOL, English education or related field
- Some prior teaching experience
- Ability to develop and implement lesson plans and keep records
- A heart for working with individuals with disabilities
- Prior experience in working with visually impaired individuals is not required
What you will do
- Teach a small group class (2-4 students) – Speaking, reading, writing, grammar, vocabulary
- Create and implement lessons
- Help prepare materials in accessible formats – large print, audio, Braille
- Maintain student attendance and progress records
- Submit documents, including volunteer hours, to academic supervisor as requested
*Orientation to working with visually impaired individuals, instruction in preparing accessible materials (large print, audio, Braille), and guidance in lesson planning will be provided, as well as ongoing support as needed.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: