Guild for the Blind: ESOL Instructor (Midtown East)
Help us teach English to the visually impaired! This opportunity is located in Midtown East.
The Catholic Guild for the Blind provides a variety of essential services to individuals who are blind and visually impaired, including immigrants who need to learn English in order to get a job or to pursue higher education. Academic services include but are not limited to ESOL instruction, preparation for the high school equivalency (TASC) exam, and preparation for college. We are an official TASC testing site as well as a TASC prep program that is specifically targeted to those with vision impairments, at present the only such TASC testing site in the State of New York.
- Will have the opportunity to provide a much needed service to an underserved population and know that they are making a positive, potentially life-changing, impact on those they serve.
- Will bring the following qualifications and skills:
- Master’s degree in TESOL, English education or related field
- Prior teaching experience
- Ability to develop and implement lesson plans
- Patience, flexibility, and a heart for working with individuals with disabilities
- Accurate recordkeeping ability
The immediate need is for an ESOL instructor to teach one beginners class once a week and one intermediate class once a week, each two hours per session, for a total of four hours per week. Additional teaching opportunities are available. Please inquire.
Tuesdays and Fridays: 11:00 am – 1:00 pm (4 hours per week)
Start date TBD. Commitment is 6 months minimum, longer preferred.
- Teach a small group class (2-4 students) – listening, speaking, reading & writing (as needed), grammar, vocabulary
- Create and implement lessons appropriate to the target population and their goals
- Prepare materials in accessible formats – large print, audio, Braille
- Maintain student attendance and progress records
- Submit documents, including volunteer hours, to academic supervisor as requested
*Orientation to working with visually impaired individuals, instruction in preparing accessible materials (large print, audio, Braille), and guidance in lesson planning will be provided, as well as ongoing support as needed. Prior experience in working with visually impaired individuals is not required, though helpful.
Login or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must login to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: