Age Minimum (with Adult): 21+, Minimum Age:21+
2019 Big Brothers Needed !
Hundreds of families seek mentoring services through Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring each year - we can’t serve them without volunteers like you!
While we are in need of volunteers across the 5 boroughs we have a pressing need for male volunteers especially in Manhattan. We have over 100 boys waiting to be matched with a mentor.
Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring is...
Founded in 1902, Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring strives to transform the lives of children through one-to-one mentoring, while strengthening entire families in hardship.
In Bigs & Littles NYC’s keystone mentoring program, youth ages 7-19, are carefully matched with a Big Sister or Big Brother who serves as an adviser, role model, and adult friend. Mentoring matches meet twice monthly for activities such as enjoying a show or ballgame, working together on a service project, or spending time talking and exploring NYC. Matches are supported by life skills programming, crisis intervention, family support, and referral assistance as well as a dedicated Professional Program Manager to oversee and guide the match relationship. This mentoring model has been the core of Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring mission for over a century. Our goal is for all young people to be empowered to recognize, reach for and achieve their full potential. We know the program works: 100% of our kids avoid pregnancy, 100% avoid arrest, 93% are promoted to the next grade, 100% graduate High School and 100% matriculate into college or a training program.
A Match is...
- The relationship between a Big (volunteer mentor) and a Little (mentee)
- Bigs serve as positive role models and friends who help Littles set and accomplish goals
- Bigs and Littles plan and participate in fun activities together which form a lasting impact for both individuals
- Supported by a Match Coordinator (Masters level social worker or equivalent) at the agency
Bigs are ...
- 21 years old or older
- Interested in mentoring a Little of the same gender, age 7-17, who lives in the five boroughs
- Willing and able to finance match outings (low or no-cost outings are highly encouraged)
- Willing to pick up / drop off Little for outings if the Little doesn’t travel independently
- From all walks of life! Men, people of color, volunteers ages 50+, individuals of all faith backgrounds, and Spanish speakers highly encouraged to apply
Big and Little matches connect...
- Over time: Bigs and Littles each commit to the match relationship for at least one year
- Face-to-face: twice per month for about eight total hours (usually on the weekends)
- Over the phone: once weekly to catch up
- To learn skills: workshops are offered throughout the year at the Bigs & Littles NYC office for hands-on match support and skill-building
Interested? Contact us...
- On the internet: BigsLittlesNYC/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x211
- On social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: