Minimum Age:21+, Background Check
Big Sisters & Big Brothers: Mentors
Hundreds of families seek mentoring services through Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring each year - we can’t serve them without volunteers like you!
A Match is...
- The relationship between a Big (volunteer mentor) and a Little (mentee)
- Bigs serve as positive role models and friends who help Littles set and accomplish goals
- Bigs and Littles plan and participate in fun activities together which form a lasting impact for both individuals
- Supported by a Match Coordinator (Masters level social worker or equivalent) at the agency
Bigs are ...
- 21 years old or older
- Interested in mentoring a Little of the same gender, age 7-17, who lives in the five boroughs
- Willing and able to finance match outings (low or no-cost outings are highly encouraged)
- Willing to pick up / drop off Little for outings if the Little doesn’t travel independently
- From all walks of life! Men, people of color, volunteers ages 50+, individuals of all faith backgrounds, and Spanish speakers highly encouraged to apply
Big and Little matches connect...
- Over time: Bigs and Littles each commit to the match relationship for at least one year
- Face-to-face: twice per month for about eight total hours (usually on the weekends)
- Over the phone: once weekly to catch up
- To learn skills: workshops are offered throughout the year at the Bigs & Littles NYC office for hands-on match support and skill-building
Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring is...
Founded in 1902, the mission of Bigs & Littles NYC Mentoring is to address the social, emotional and academic challenges facing youth living in New York City’s low-income neighborhoods by providing one-to-one community based mentoring services supported by life skills programming, crisis intervention, family support and referral assistance. We seek to improve the lives of children of all faiths, empowering them to recognize, reach for and achieve their full potential as self-sufficient adults.
Many of our Littles are youth from first-generation and/or low-income families. Our mentees face poverty, a shortage of practical skills, and a lack of exposure to opportunities in NYC. Bigs who serve with Bigs & Littles NYC make a difference in the lives of their Littles! 95% of our 12th grade students graduate high school and 95% of our high school graduates enter college or a job training program, compared to 50% of their peers.
Interested? Contact us...
- On the internet: BigsLittlesNYC/volunteers
- On the phone: 212-475-3291 x211
- On social media: Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram
Mentoring not a good fit right now? Get in touch to learn how you can support us with volunteer recruitment, donor cultivation, and other engagement opportunities at Bigs & Littles NYC.
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Signup with team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: