2019-2020 Tenant Education Program: Tenants' Rights Workshop Teachers
We are looking for volunteer attorneys to teach the Tenants' Rights & Responsibilities Workshop under our Tenant Education Program (TEP). Volunteer attorneys are needed to teach workshops on Tuesdays at the Kennedy Center in Harlem (off the 2/3 line -- 34 West 134th Street) from 5:30 - 7:30pm.
Volunteer attorneys need only commit to one Tuesday per month. The Program Coordinator will train volunteers in all necessary materials. TEP is a service provided by the Preserving Housing Department of Catholic Charities Community Services. The TEP consists of a series of training workshops covering topics relevant to preserving and stabilizing housing in NYC. We prefer volunteers to have a professional background or practical experience in NYC and NYS housing court legal issues.
Through its training workshops, this program aims to transform its participants into tenants who are reliable and preferable to the landlord by helping them:
- Learn basic knowledge and skills in managing the family budget
- Identify and practice basic rights and responsibilities as a NYC tenant
- Understand the need for a cooperative and peaceful landlord-tenant relationship
- Learn personal skills of communication and conflict resolution in the landlord-tenant relationship
- Know how to find a safe and adequate apartment in NYC that is affordable and within the tenant's financial means
- Get informed about rental subsidies and assistance programs provided by the local and federal governments
- Be aware of potential roots and reasons for eviction/homelessness and how to avoid them
- Have a glimpse on preparedness for employment and how to become marketable in the job market
Log in or Register
In order to register for this opportunity you must log in to an existing account or register to create a new account.
Sign up with a team
This link allows you to participate in this opportunity with a team. When you click on the link you will have the option to:
- Choose an existing team you're already a member or captain of, or
- Create a new team to sign up.
Please respond to the following questions in order to signup for this opportunity: