Are you a busy professional in a 9 to 5 job with little time to spare but still want to volunteer in some small way that makes a big impact? Then this may be the ideal volunteering opportunity for you.
Make a difference in the life of an English language learner with a vision impairment by helping them develop conversational fluency in English so they can get a job—all in the convenience of your own home by telephone!
Two or more volunteers—at least one bilingual (Spanish) speaker—are needed to help adult students who are blind or visually impaired to develop conversational skills in English by engaging them in telephone conversations at least once a week. The telephone sessions are about 30 minutes long and scheduled according to mutual availability. No special skills in working with visually impaired individuals are needed. Information regarding the students, telephone sessions, and guidelines for topics will be provided. The English conversationalist will briefly report on the progress of each student to the academic supervisor by email each month.
• Native English speaker (or near-native English speaker) with clear voice and good diction
• Knowledge of English grammar and usage very beneficial – must be able to gently but consistently correct repeated errors
• Knowledge of other languages and cultures helpful
• Ability to understand heavily accented English helpful
- Landline phone or cell phone with good reception
• 1-3 hours per week, must maintain regular agreed-upon schedule
• 3-6 months, longer preferred